Google+

Tuesday, October 22

The Boy Who Cried Force-Placed Insurance Chapter 6: Eve of Redemption


Brian Penny Anonymous Laptop
My laptop in the gf's backyard...
I started writing as a way to document my thoughts throughout my life. I kept handwritten journals as well as typed documents running the gamut across the entire Microsoft Office suite. When I blew the whistle, I started writing in public as a way to protect myself from assassination, per advice I received from Wendy Day, which she got from Minister Louis Farrakhan during a dispute she has with Cash Money Records back in the day. Going public with my war against the banks protected me, not because everyone would know who to blame if I were killed, but so the banks know everyone would blame them.


The Reality of Whistleblowing...


I planned a lot of things out, and, despite making a few changes here and there to proactively overcome obstacles, I've managed to stick to them pretty well. With the FHFA and NY Dept of Financial Services finally started to make some headway in going after the banks, a new chapter is about to unfold in my life. Although many people stuck by me during the down times, a lot of people turned their backs. Doing the right thing put me in a position in which every personal relationship I had changed.

People who have been with me through a lot of good and bad times suddenly weren't around anymore. Close childhood friends saw me in a different light after witnessing the trouble I attracted by doing the right thing. I learned very quickly that even those who admire the act of blowing the whistle aren't often prepared for the reality of life as a whistleblower.

It's one thing to say you believe in something; in order to take action on those beliefs, one must endure much pushback, laughter, and danger. You won't learn who your true friends are until you end up in the hospital, police station, or on the streets. People tend to shy away from such "drama" in order to keep up on their fantasy league, work gossip, and reality shows. As a whistleblower, I was subjected on multiple occasions to each of these elephant-in-the-room scenarios. It's not easy...and I lost a lot in the process...

Want to learn more about force-placed insurance? Read Key Talking Points from the NY DFS Force-Placed Insurance Investigations...

Brian Penny gonzo journal
All recordings are belong to everyone...

The Summer I Lost Everything...


The summer of 2011 was tumultuous, to say the least. I learned a lot of very difficult life lessons...the kind you never forget...

I made several resolutions during those dark days. I'm far removed from rock bottom these days, but whenever I need to get myself back on track, I look back at the words I wrote and reminisce about the thoughts I had while dancing in the frying pan. It brings me peace to renew the promises I made to myself, refilling my soul like a car's gas tank.

Learn more: Paraphrasing Bank of America's Testimony to the NY Department of Financial Services...

Promises at Rock Bottom...


Many of the thoughts and promises I made to myself in those dark times are private - believe it or not, I'm quite skilled at keeping my many public and private lives separated. The one promise I want to share with you is the one that provided the most comfort as I endured the trials and tribulations a whistleblower must:

I promised myself that I would never let anyone who turned on me during my fall (and subsequent climb) back into my life once my work began producing results; I promised I wouldn't bother with those fair-weathered people who couldn't be bothered with me when I needed someone.

Being an adult means coming up with ways to succeed in your goals without compromising on your values. Although times are more stable now, I still remember the feeling of hitting rock bottom, scrounging for a reason to believe in myself enough to wake up every morning...look in the mirror at the man I've become...gather my wits...and keep pushing...

Brian Penny signature

Learn more: I'm a Bank Whistleblower, and You Can Be Too...


Brian Penny is a former business analyst at Bank of America turned whistleblower and freelance writer. He's a frequent contributor to MainstreetLifehack, and HardcoreDroid and an affiliate of Manduka and Tazo. He documents his experiences working with Anonymous, practicing yoga, and fighting the banks on his blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment